Certified Wildlife Habitat™
Are you interested in making your backyard an attractive haven for wildlife? Want to grow native plants and attract native species, including pollinating insects, birds, reptiles, amphibians and more? Then the Certified Wildlife Habitat™ program is right for you!
In partnership with the NWF’s Garden for Wildlife program, Louisiana Wildlife Federation is working to increase habitat for backyard wildlife species and protect pollinator populations and you can help by creating a wildlife habitat! You can make a difference by inviting wildlife back to your own yard or neighborhood by planting a simple garden that provides 5 key elements: Food, Water, Cover, Places to Raise Young & Sustainable Practices
5 Simple Tips to Get Started
- Plant a shrub that flowers for pollinators and produces berries for birds and other animals
- Put out a birdbath. Even small water features will be used by wildlife.
- Provide cover with dense shrubs, wildflower gardens, rock walls and evergreens.
- Mount a nesting box for birds, plant host plants for butterfly caterpillars or install a frog pond as places to raise young.
- Put away chemicals. Natural gardens are better for you and your family as well as the wildlife.
Certify to show your commitment to wildlife in Louisiana! The Louisiana Wildlife Federation and The National Wildlife Federation have teamed up to recognize your yard, balcony container garden, schoolyard, work landscape and roadside greenspace through the Garden for Wildlife™ program. Join the over 200,000 Certified Wildlife Habitats™ and certify today. It is fun, easy and makes a big difference for neighborhood wildlife.
When you certify through this link or download the paper application, you will receive a joint certification through the National Wildlife Federation and the Louisiana Wildlife Federation! $5 from the certification fee comes back to LWF. Thank you for your support!