Certified Wildlife Habitat™
Want to grow native plants and attract native species, including pollinating insects, birds, reptiles, amphibians and more? Your backyard could serve as a haven for wildlife through the Certified Wildlife Habitat™ program!
In partnership with the NWF’s Garden for Wildlife program, Louisiana Wildlife Federation is working to increase habitat for backyard wildlife species and protect pollinator populations. You can help by creating a wildlife habitat! You can make a difference by inviting wildlife back to your own yard or neighborhood by planting a simple garden that provides 5 key elements: Food, Water, Cover, Places to Raise Young & Sustainable Practices.
Check out our blog on some ideas for native plants to add to your garden!
The Garden for Wildlife Photo Contest seeks to illustrate the faces of Garden for Wildlife through striking, colorful images showcasing the impact of habitat gardens on wildlife and people - in urban, suburban, and rural settings, and on land, in the air, and in water.
- People in wildlife garden
- Certified Wildlife Habitat landscapes
- Wildlife observations where people live, work, play, learn & worship
- Close-up native plants & their wildlife visitors
- Young habitat photographers (age 13-17)
Deadline: October 17, 2021
5 Simple Tips to Get Started
- Plant a shrub that flowers for pollinators and produces berries for birds and other animals
- Put out a birdbath. Even small water features will be used by wildlife.
- Provide cover with dense shrubs, wildflower gardens, rock walls and evergreens.
- Mount a nesting box for birds, plant host plants for butterfly caterpillars or install a frog pond as places to raise young.
- Put away chemicals. Natural gardens are better for you and your family as well as the wildlife.
Want more tips? Click here!
Certify to show your commitment to wildlife in Louisiana! The Louisiana Wildlife Federation and The National Wildlife Federation have teamed up to recognize your yard, balcony container garden, schoolyard, work landscape and roadside greenspace through the Garden for Wildlife™ program. Join the over 260,000 Certified Wildlife Habitats™ and certify today. It is fun, easy and makes a big difference for neighborhood wildlife.
When you certify through this link or download the paper application, you will receive a joint certification through the National Wildlife Federation and the Louisiana Wildlife Federation! $5 from the certification fee comes back to LWF. Thank you for your support!